Fernie may be best known for being one of the world’s premier places to ski or snowboard but as any local resident will agree, summer in Fernie is just as, if not more, incredible. There’s a regularly heard saying in Fernie: that people come for the winter but stay for the summer. Considering quite how world class the ski resort is, that’s a big statement but one that Fernie truly lives up to. This isn’t marketing hype… ask anyone who’s been and you’ll only hear super positive reports!
"North America's Coolest Town" - Rolling Stone Magazine
Several factors make Fernie the ideal location for a mountain bike course:
- Ride world class mountain bike trails - British Columbia is the birthplace and centre of freeriding
- Never any crowds on the mountain
- The most perfect climate – hot sunny days (typically 24-34 Celcius) but with cool evenings (none of those uncomfortably hot sleepless nights usually associated with hot climates)
- An amazing community of bikers and mountain sports enthusiasts
- The town of Fernie - voted “North America’s Coolest Town” by Rolling Stone magazine – is full of great shops, bars and restaurants with lots of music and arts events and festivals going on.
- There are so many other activities on your doorstep: hike, golf, chill out at the lake, go white water rafting, float down the river on an inflatable donut, take a stroll along one of Fernie's many trails. It may sound cheesy but with so much to do and with Fernie’s long, sunny, days you’ll feel like you’re in an outdoor/sports paradise.
Bike trials at the Full Throttle MTB event
Swim in the lake after a day riding in the sun
Fernie has a really great variety of terrain including steep & technical descents, winding single track, tight switchbacks, flat valley bottom paths, flowing forest trails, man-made obstacles & jumps, and both double and single track. There are two areas to ride:
1) Lift-Accessed Trails
With one of the largest lift-accessed trail networks in Western Canada, Fernie Alpine Resort’s variety of 37 mountain bike trails offers something for everyone: wide machine-made cat-tracks for beginners, flowing smooth single track woodland trails for novice riders, and challenging steep and technical single track trails for more advanced riders. There are two chair lifts that riders ride (with their bikes on the chair in front of them) which drop you at the top of a huge playground of well designed and regularly maintained mountain bike trails.
2) All Mountain Trails
Surrounding the town of Fernie are 67 trails within riding distance of our lodge. Some are more mellow cross country trails and others are more challenging all mountain trails. The local community of riders organise a weekly fun race as well as group rides which are a great opportunity for meeting local mountain bikers In total there are 160 kilometres of trails in Fernie!
One of the lifts at Fernie Alpine Resort
Ripping Fernie's single track